Monday, March 14, 2011

Today Was A Good Day

It's no secret that I'm a crappy housekeeper.

I know that the people who live on my street are less than impressed with my skills.  They probably wonder how we manage to live the way that we do.

But today was a good day.

I started out with a house in shambles.  The kitchen hadn't been touched in days.  The family room was not much better.  I'd tried to tidy it up over the weekend but Jamie was undoing my work before I even completed it so I gave it up as a bad job.  I had laundry that needed to be done and the powder room needed attention.

And in the middle of the night last night Jamie peed all over his new bed.  I think he drank his entire bathtub of water because that kid SOAKED his diaper.  And then soaked it again by the time he got up - but at least it didn't leak on the second go round.  His sheets were wet, his blankets were wet, his pajamas were dripping.  So, I had to change him from head to toe and then put him to bed in the crib for the rest of the night because I didn't have any clean linens for that bed (not because I didn't do the laundry but because I only have 3 sets of twin sheets and they're all in use).  In order for him to be able to take a nap, I had to get those dirty linens in the wash first thing this morning.

That managed to get the ball rolling and I kept cleaning.  It took me two loads of the dishwasher but I got the kitchen cleaned up.  Then I got the kids fed and Liam off to the school.  Jamie went down for a nap (got those linens done in time!) and I went to work on the family room.  By the time Jamie woke up the room was clean, the kids' laundry was started, and the powder room was clean.

I managed to end the day with a house that is in a lot better shape than when I started.  For some reason, this always leaves me with far more of a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day than anything else.  In the grand scheme of things, it's far better that the kids are dressed, fed, napped appropriately, gone to school, and made it to whatever activities they have.  Yet, when all I manage to do with my day are those things, I always feel like an unproductive wretch by day's end.  When I do all those things AND get the house in order?  I feel awesome.

Trust me, the irony of this situation is not lost on me nor am I ignorant of what a sad little commentary on my life this is.

But there you have it.  Today was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment