Friday, November 12, 2010

To Quote My Husband, "Ben Folds RAWKS!"

When the children are not around, we are lovers of Ben Folds in this house.  He has a tendency to use adult language in his songs, particularly his more recent stuff, so we haven't really exposed the kids to it.  Of course this means that I haven't even heard the last two albums he's released and only know a bit of the album before those.  But, hey, that's ok - I still like his stuff.

Last night, Scot and I left the kids with Grandma and trooped off to Club Zoo to see Ben live.  I am 34 years old and I had never in my life stepped foot in a nightclub.  Luckily, there was quite an age range at the show so I didn't really feel out of place.  However, being that it was a club show, there was no such thing as seats.  Standing for nearly five hours nearly crippled me.

That said, Ben puts on an awesome show.  He interacts with the audience and truly gets his rock on.  Scot and I kept saying that his piano tuner must hate him because of the way he beats on that thing.  In the same breath he is a truly talented keyboardist. 

He played old favorites like "Army," "Kate," "Zak and Sara," "Rockin' The Suburbs," and "Still Fighting It" as well as about half of the brand new album.  He made up a song on the spot about tambourine soloists (you read that correctly) that was bluesy and hilarious. 

With each tour, Ben picks a song to cover during concerts.  At one time it was Elton John's "Tiny Dancer."  Well, for this tour they had trouble choosing a song so they decided to go to iTunes and see what the #1 song on iTunes was at that moment - that would be their cover song.  The song was "Sleazy" by Ke$ha.  Because I hate Ke$ha, I had not heard the song but it was awesome listening to Ben perform it.  I came home and looked up the song and I can only say that Ben Folds covering Ke$ha is far, far, far superior to anything Ke$ha herself can do.

We've been trying to get to a Ben Folds show for years now and we finally made it last night.  I have a feeling it won't be our last because it was fun and raucous and hilarious and amazing all wrapped up in one really awesome concert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment