Wednesday, November 3, 2010

So, Yeah, There Was An Election

Sigh.

I admit, yesterday was disappointing for me.  I went to bed last night knowing that The House of Reps had gone Red, the Senate was still in play, and that the good citizens of PA had just voted Tom Corbett in as Governor.  I had nightmares last night about the idea of bequeathing this screwed up country on to my children and OH MY GOD, what had I done by having them!?

Then I got up this morning and found out that Pat Toomey won the senate race in PA (when I had gone to bed, Sestak was winning) and to top it all off, the only person I voted for that won his race was Jason Altmire.  Voting for him in the first place turned my stomach.  It was not even the best of two bad choices but the ok-kinda-sorta-not-as-bad-as-the-other-guy choice.  I did my duty.  I voted.  And I felt defeated by the end of the day.

Lots of people have had a lot to say about what went down.  I think, so far, the best I've read came from Red Pen Mama over here (with the exception that I'm a little pissed at Obama over a few things that have nothing to do with how fast the economy is or is not recovering).  For me, about the best I can say is that the huge majority needed to do things like repeal Health Care Reform simply doesn't exist, especially with the Senate still nominally Democratic.

That said, I would like to see the Republicans fix the economy, replace several million jobs, balance the budget, do it all without raising taxes, and accomplish it within the space of the next 18 months.  This has been the large part of their rhetoric this campaign season - that Obama didn't deliver on his promises and it's all his fault things aren't perfect yet - so, now that they've gotten the victory they've striven so hard for it's time for them to walk the walk they've been talking so loudly.

I won't hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment