Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Your Attention Please

Remember how I complained about what a pain in the ass it was getting Jamie started in speech therapy?  Well, I meant it.  It was a total pain in the ass.  But all of that aggravation was worth it.  We're 4 weeks into  therapy now and today Jamie hit a major milestone with his speech.

He said not one, not two, but THREE complete sentences.

"More milk!" (and he signed it while he said it!!!!! Yes, that deserves multiple exclamation points.)

"Hi Mama!"

"There it is!"

I'm stunned.

I'll be the first to admit that if you don't live with Jamie, none of these things were clear or intelligible, with the possible exception of "hi, Mama."  But because I live with him and I'm used to his patois of African click tongue, Central American Bush Speak, and Caveman Grunt these things were clear as day to me.

We're also slowly building a vocabulary with him - downstairs, outside, stomp (we were playing in puddles), up, down, uh-huh (as opposed to uh-oh), and probably several more that aren't coming to mind at the moment.  The thing that's so huge to me is that he's finally starting to string things together to make sentences.  It seemed so far outside of his reach when it came to language.  I thought it would take far longer for him to make that leap.

It also makes up for the fact that he spent the whole weekend shrieking and refused to use any language at all (but only a little bit because that sucked).

It feels weird to say that I'm proud of my kid for talking but it's true.  I'm proud of the little bugger.  Keep it up, kiddo.

1 comment: