Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yummy New Recipe

In an effort to find new, healthy recipes, I picked up a copy of Weight Watchers Ultimate Classics recipe book over the weekend.  I spent some time paging through it and there's about 10 recipes I want to try right off the bat and I'm sure there will be more.

I tried the first recipe last night and it's so yummy and a great summer side dish so I wanted to share.

Fresh Corn Sauté

1 applewood-smoked bacon slice
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
2 cups fresh corn kernels
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

1.  Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp.  Remove bacon slice from pan; crumble.

2.  Add onion and bell pepper to drippings in pan; sauté 5 minutes.  Add corn and next 3 ingredients; sauté 4 minutes or until tender.  Stir in crumbled bacon.  Yield: 4 servings (serving size 1/2 cup)

Per serving: CAL 104; FAT 3.5g; PRO 3.4g; CARB 17.5g; FIB 2.8g; CHOL 3.3mg; IRON 0.6mg; SOD 184 mg; CALC 16 mg


Notes:  I made this with a regular bacon slice since I didn't have applewood-smoked.  I do not own non-stick pans (I hate 'em) so I used my regular skillet with no extra grease but what was coming off the bacon.  It worked fine.  I used frozen corn instead of fresh and I just defrosted it by running under warm water before I used it.  I used a vidalia for the onion and I used a bit more in the way of amounts than the recipe called for - it just worked out that way.  I never measure herbs and spices so I tossed in until it looked good.  The thyme/corn combination is out of this world and I really loved this recipe.  So did Jamie!

There is a recipe in this book for a Double Chocolate Bundt Cake that I am dying to try out.  If it comes out tasty, I'll include that one, too!  :)

---------------------------------
And now for the disclaimer:  Weight Watchers doesn't even know me from Adam.  I am not being compensated for this review or any other I make on this site.  I bought the cookbook, tried the recipe, loved it, and posted about it.  Absolutely no money exchanged hands for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment