Monday, July 26, 2010

Blooms

My garden is an embarrassment.  The weeds have completely taken over.  I haven't mulched in two years.  There is lawn where there isn't supposed to be lawn.  And the lawn?  It could really stand to be mowed.

But, despite the chaos, I have flowers blooming.

Looky!  Black Eyed Susans!


This is a miracle.  I've been trying to get these to bloom since I planted them when we first moved in back in 2007.  Usually the resident deer population eats them to nubbins before they even manage to bud.  This year, for reasons unknown, they've decided that my garden does not resemble the buffet at the Grand Concourse and they've left my poor plants alone.  Also, I've remembered to pepper regularly (although I've done that in years past, too).  Maybe there are too many other tasty weeds to choose from so they're not interested in the stuff I would actually like to see survive.

And looky again!  Look at all those buds!


Also, my gladiolas have begun to burst forth.


My hostas are blooming as well.  This is another small miracle because hostas are apparently heroin if you're a deer.  My hostas have regularly been the victims of the eaten-to-nubbins phenomenon.


One day, years from now, when the children are capable to not killing themselves if I'm not watching them with eagle eyes (Jamie, I'm looking at you), I will be able to show you my gardens and be proud.  For now, this will have to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment