Monday, July 26, 2010

A Refreshing Summer Salad

Yes, folks, it's time once again for a recipe post.  And, once again, it comes courtesy of Weight Watchers.

Cucumber Mint Salad

2 cups sliced English Cucumber
¼ cup vertically sliced red onion
2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint or parsley
2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
¼ tsp. sugar

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; toss well.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Yield: 4 servings (serving size 1/2 cup)

Per serving: CAL 43; FAT 3.4g; PRO 0.9g; CARB 2.8g; FIB 1g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 0.2mg; SOD 2mg; CALC 5mg

Notes: The recipe didn't say whether to peel the cucumber or not so I peeled it.  I find the skin to be very bitter sometimes so I didn't want to deal with that.  I cut the cucumber in in half lengthwise and then sliced, ending up with half moon shaped pieces.  While that was fine, I think next time I'll quarter the cucumber instead.  While the recipe calls for mint or parsley, I used mint because it's called Cucumber MINT Salad, after all.  Also, I found that the addition of a dash of salt to each serving as I served it (since I was eating it over several days) was tasty as well.  Call me weird, but I liked it that way.

Hope you like it as much as I did!  It was a refreshing summer treat.  :)
---------------------------------------
Once again with the disclaimer:  Weight Watchers doesn't even know me from Adam.  I am not being compensated for this review or any other I make on this site.  I bought the cookbook, tried the recipe, loved it, and posted about it.  Absolutely no money exchanged hands for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment