Monday, June 20, 2011

The Floodgates Have Opened

Language is suddenly pouring out of Jamie in a torrent.  When he said five new words in the space of an hour, I decided to start writing them down so I wouldn't forget them by the time his next therapy session rolled around.

That list took up half the white board on my refrigerator.

Since I started keeping track (on FRIDAY) he has said all of the following:

please
airplane
waffle
blow
bird
one more
Perry (as in, the platypus)
beep (for beeping noses)
book
sit
ting (for clinking glasses together)
oh yeah
bowl
blue bowl
thank you, Mama
hat
Roary (the name of a toy)
Toodles (from Mickey Mouse Clubhouse)
french toast

"French toast" happened just this morning.  "What do you want for breakfast, Jamie?" I asked him.

"French toast!" (not clear or distinct but intelligible)

"French toast?" I clarified.

"Uh-huh!"

Easiest. mealtime. interaction. EVER.  It hasn't been that easy since he was nursing full time and there was only one choice to begin with.

Our next step is to start working on two and three words phrases to teach him how words can go together.  He's starting to pick it up already.

No comments:

Post a Comment