Friday, June 3, 2011

Big Boys

These kids, they just keep growing up.

Liam is currently at his very last day of kindergarten.  He has excelled this year and learned so, so much.  I'm really proud of him, proud of how hard he's worked, and proud of how much he enjoys learning.  Some days I turn around and I can't believe there's this big kid standing in front of me.  Who let that happen!?  And how can he be so old when I'm still so young?

Clearly, he is a time traveller.

And Jamie?  Well, he has suddenly decided that he needs no help climbing into the car and into his car seat and then climbing back out again when we arrive wherever we're going.  In fact, he'll screech at you if you don't let him do it himself.  Mr. Independent, that one.  He carries his own lunch into daycare when he goes and wants to walk in on his own two feet instead of being carried.

I wouldn't be surprised if his next full sentence is "I do it, Mama!"

You're probably thinking that I'm going to wax philosophical about missing my kids as babies.  Well, there's no chance of that because I don't miss it.  Not one bit.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the baby stage, too, but I'm glad to have left it behind.  Babies are great but they sure are confining and I'm tired of being a recluse.

With the kids getting bigger, we suddenly get to do more things with them and enjoy their enjoyment of exploring new things.  We're not so tied down by twice-a-day nap schedules and when the baby HAS to eat and needing a suitcase full of stuff just to leave the house for 30 minutes.  I'm really looking forward to summer vacation this year and I'm hoping to create some really fantastic memories with my kids.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows, the kids drive me bats, too.  But the fact that they're getting older, more independent, less constantly needy of me - that's a wonderful and welcome development.  Bring on the big boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment