Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Not only has Liam started kindergarten bringing a whole new schedule to our lives but I'm attempting to make Jamie give up his morning nap.  He'll be 18 months old in 4 days and, quite honestly, I've had it with this two naps a day business.  It's a pain in my bahookey, thankyouverymuch.

With Liam starting school and changing schedule anyway, I figured I'd just add on a few more logs to the fire and rip away Jamie's morning nap, too.  Did I mention Jamie is working on a molar at the moment, as well?  It won't kill me, right?  RIGHT?

Efforts to this point have been scattershot.  In the last 7 days he's taken only one nap on 6 of them.  However, yesterday I put him down in the morning due to a bad night's sleep the previous night.  He slept for an hour and a half; I figured I'd get at least an hour out of him in the afternoon.

That was a pipe dream.

He chatted in the crib for an hour before my mother-in-law (who was watching him so I could attend an appointment) gave up and got him out.  He was happy and giggly all the way to bedtime and then slept like a rock all night.

Oooo-kay.

So today I didn't offer the morning nap and planned to put him down after I dropped Liam off at school.  We made it through lunch time, although he was cranky as hell in spots, and then we had about 20 minutes to kill before we had to leave for school.  Jamie was whining and cranking about me telling him no about something or other when suddenly it was silent.

"Jamie!  Where are you, buddy?"

[crickets]

"Jamie!  Honey, what are you doing?"

[crickets and more crickets]

Crickets are never good.  NEVER.  I figured he was doing something particularly evil so I got up to go look for him.  I nearly stepped on him because this is what I found:


He stopped crying and cranking and whinging and whining and simply fell over asleep in the middle of the floor.  Apparently he wanted that morning nap I didn't give him.

After snapping a picture or five I had to wake him up.  I felt bad but we had to leave in 20 minutes to take Liam to school so I really had no choice.  When we got back from drop off I put him down for a nap.  He slept from 12:45 until 3:00 when I had to wake him up so we could go meet Liam at the bus stop.  He was so sacked out that when I went in to get him he was still all tucked up in the same position he was when I tucked him in for nap.

I'm hoping that in another week he'll be feeling more like himself.  In the meantime, I'll keep a watch under my feet for a randomly sacked out toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment