Saturday, September 8, 2012

I Spoke Too Soon

After blogging yesterday about Scot having pneumonia and hoping he'd get better, he took a nose dive last night and ended up at the ER.

I was getting kids to bed and he was awake after having slept for most of the last 2 days. He was coughing. That nasty deep, hacking cough of pneumonia and I didn't like it.

"I don't like the sound of that," I said. "You're not supposed to be doing that 3 weeks and 2 rounds of antibiotics later."

So Scot called our doctor who called him back and said it was time for a chest x-ray. My mother-in-law very graciously came and picked up Scot so that I could stay with the kids and while they had planned to hit Urgent Care, Scot changed his mind and they went to the hospital. By this time the humidity outside had made it difficult for him to breathe and he knew the ER could treat things more aggressively than Urgent Care could.

Of course, it was Friday night so they were slammed.

It was a long night for Scot and my poor mother-in-law. The staff took the xray and ran a bunch of blood work only to figure that while things are kind of getting better this stuff just doesn't seem to want to die.  Also, they had a hell of a time starting an IV on him despite the fact that he's been making an effort to keep hydrated.

In the end, they gave him an HOUR LONG breathing treatment, some IV fluids, an IV bolus of antibiotics, and some codeine for the cough.  He came home with prescriptions for the Trogdor the Burninator of antibotics and some more codeine. They are trying to KILL IT WITH FIRE.  Since this is now the third class of antibiotics they've put him on and they finally pulled out the BFGs, I'm hoping this will turn the tide.  This shit will kill the plague so it better damn well kill this.

I fell asleep sometime after 1 am and Scot didn't get home until around 2:30 am.  Unfortunately, the kids were up at their usual 7 am wake up time so we are crispy fried critters today. It's movies and PJ's today for this house.

I am going to need an entire pitcher of sangria when this is all said and done. And then I'm going to need douse my entire house in bleach.

No comments:

Post a Comment