Friday, September 7, 2012

Catching Up

Man alive, it has been a long few weeks.

In no particular order, the goings on around these parts lately include:

1. Scot has had pneumonia for the last 3 weeks.  His work has been PHENOMENAL about the whole thing. They've told him not to push himself or do anything he's not ready to do and that he's not worry about the work he's supposed to be getting done. It has eased both of our minds to know that they are understanding.

He did try to go back to work on Tuesday after being off for 2 full weeks.  He made it all day Tuesday and half a day Wednesday but it seems that was too much too soon and he's been a limp dishrag since Wednesday afternoon.  Here's hoping the weekend brings improvement...

2. The first full week at school for Liam was a HUGE improvement from last year.  He's used to full day school now and he dropped back into the routine with almost no ripple.  It was a crazy first week getting everyone to their commitments and having Curriculum Night in the mix as well (which was one giant data dump and a lot to take in).  But we got through it and I think second grade is going to be good. So far he seems to like his teacher and he's happy with what they're learning in class so I'm content. The first grades he brought home - his first real letter grades - were A's. Go Liam!

3. Jamie started preschool this week. He had a sneak peek last week when he got to see the classroom and meet the teachers.  He loved it so much he cried when we left and was grumpy for an hour after we got home.  He's had two days of shortened hours this week and both times he cried when I picked him up. I think it's a combination of the stress of adjustment and not wanting to go home yet. The poor kid is used to full day daycare and this 2 hours at a time business is really pissing him off royally. But the teachers say he loves his time there so I have to trust that he'll get past all this and learn to love it.  I feel bad for him, though; I wish it could have been different.

However, check out how excited he was to go on the first day! (And please note that getting these pictures was nearly impossible - he was so excited I couldn't get him to stand still long enough to keep my pictures in focus!)

Ready to go Mom!
Headed out the door with a backpack as big as he is.
Also, there is nothing like a suburban preschool to make this mom feel out of place. I didn't know anyone (except my one neighbor up the street), they all show up for pick up way early (I got there 10 min early and there were 8 other moms there already), and they all seem to know each other from last year. I don't know them yet so I can't say for sure, but it felt like walking into a sea of Stepford Soccer Moms and I'm the odd woman out.  It'll get better and Jamie loves it, so that's what matters.

4. What about me, you ask? Well, I'm trying to keep my head above water and on top of the chores. I'm usually last on the list of things to take care of and I have to remind myself to shower on a regular basis.  I'm trying to work my way into figuring out how our new schedule works and how all my responsibilities fit into it. I want and need to make some fitness and diet changes for myself and I've been waiting out these last two weeks impatiently. At the start of next week I'll be seeing how my time really works out and I'm hoping that those 3 mornings to myself will afford me the time to put myself higher on the priority list every now and then.

1 comment:

  1. ohmigosh, your little red headed boy kills me with the cute. He'll adjust, and so will you! Hang in there. And I will continue to toast to Scot's good health.

    ReplyDelete