Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Six

Liam is going to be six in two weeks.

It does not seem possible that he is going to be six.  Didn't I just give birth to him? Wasn't it just yesterday that we were suffering through the Terrifically Terrible Threes?

Yet here we are.

He's so much more independent than he was a year ago.  He goes outside to play without needing me with him.  He ventures to the neighbor's house and plays with them - again, without me.  He walks home from the bus stop on his own now.

I still get frustrated with him - he dawdles like a pro at bed time and has a stubborn streak a mile wide - but I'm coming to learn that my frustration with him is my own making at least 50% of the time.  I need to learn to embrace his little idiosyncrasies and see them as manifestations of his awesome personality rather than just sheer annoyance.  I'm going to work hard at it - even when I just want 5 minutes of quiet after listening to the kids bickering with each other constantly.

These days I have to make an effort to give him hugs and kisses.  He doesn't seek them out as often as he did and cuddles are few and far between.  He doesn't run away when I give him hugs - I'm sure that will come in the near future - but I want him to know that I love him and I don't want him to think I lavish attention on his brother while I pointedly ignore him.  They need different things from me but that's sometimes hard for a kid to understand so I still want him to hear me say "I love you, kiddo."

I love you, kiddo.  You're a really wonderful kid who is loving and kind.  You're helpful with your brother and you love him under all your annoyance with his toddler ways.  You're creative and silly and full of life.  I love that your grown-up ways mean that we can do things together that were impossible just a few years ago.  You make life fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment