Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowmageddon Is Upon Us

Well. So much for accurate weather reporting. You would think that in a place that gets snow on a regular basis, they'd be better at figuring out how much we're going to get and how freaked out we all need to be. But, alas, no. Pittsburghers are truly deranged when it comes to snow. They're forecasting a dusting to half an inch? There's a run on bread, milk, and toilet paper down at the Giant Eagle.

For this particular storm, they were predicting 6 to 12 inches total - a major snowstorm for Pittsburgh. Everyone was stocking up on food and canceling travel plans. It started snowing in earnest around 3 pm yesterday afternoon and the driving conditions were deteriorating rapidly. It wasn't unpassable but the roads were getting slick and caution was warranted. I picked up Liam from school, came home, and settled in for the night knowing that we'd be housebound for the weekend.

I neglected to shovel any snow last night - even though all the neighbors were out doing it - because I trusted that we'd get no more than a foot of snow.

That was really dumb on my part. Truly idiotic.

I woke up this morning to not one foot of snow but two feet of snow and it was still coming down. We own one snow shovel. So far, I've spent two hours shoveling and managed to get a single shovel-width path down the driveway, up the front walk, and the stairs and porch cleared. The snow is up to my knees at least. The snow plows have plowed us in.

I took some pictures so I thought I'd share.


Liam enjoying the snow

This is part of the path that took me two hours to dig.

This is the retaining wall near our garage. The corner is about elbow height on me.

This is the main road that runs past our house.


Our mailbox, or what little of it remains uncovered.


The cossack hat our front light is wearing.

The pile of snow that I found when I opened the front door this morning.

Snow covered trees with treehouse.

Liam's playhouse on the back patio. You can barely see the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment